Saturday, July 19, 2008

Chapter 15

Chapter 15
My parents decided to move back up to the heights. I didn’t know why. I never knew why. I just knew I was being ripped from the most wonderful time of my life and I didn’t want to go.


Now back to the city streets, I felt nothing but sadness. I couldn’t concentrate on my school studies. My only interests revolved around yesterday. Thank goodness for the distraction of 3 neighboring new friends.


My mother began having troubles of her own, which distracted me from my worries over Winnie. She kept getting these disabling migraine headaches, which lasted sometimes for 3 days.
Coming home from school, every day, turned into a ‘hush-hush’ affair, as I tiptoed into the door to make sure mother was up and about.



When I found that her bedroom door was closed, I knew it was because she was blocking out light. I would quietly sneak into her room, to ask if she needed iced-tea. Most times, she depended on me and waited for me when I came home from school.


The migraines eventually turned worse and I was left to help mother, sometimes waiting on her hand and foot for days. During those times, I was the mother for the other two. It was hard to think about Winnie, and mourn days past.


Willie and I stayed in touch by phone. Between bouts with my mother, I managed to get down to the valley to see her, now and then. Only at those times, did I get an update on Winnie’s situation.


Sometimes I would come spend the weekend with her. Once, she came to spend the night with me but something in the neighborhood irritated her allergies. We woke up the next morning to a fit of sneezing. When the constant sneezing didn’t stop, even after lunch, we gave up and took her home.


During one of my weekend visits at Willie’s house, we did something we would never forget. Her mother smoked these strange cigarettes called ‘English Ovals’. She kept the carton in the freezer, as she didn’t smoke enough to use them up before they dried out. The freezer kept them fresh.


We stole a pack of her mother’s cigarettes and took them with us on a ride. It made us feel all grown up, to smoke a cigarette. Near the end of the day, we realized that we couldn’t just take back a portion of a pack or her mother would catch on, to what we had done. We didn’t want to waste them, so we worked hard at smoking every last one.


We managed to smoke them all but then for the whole next week, we both suffered with a horrible cough. On Wednesday, I called Willie and found out that she too, was having a horrid time with coughing. We both vowed never to do that again.


This was such a heart breaking time for me. I could no longer ride with Willie every day; no longer see Winnie. Winnie was in a miserable place and I couldn’t do anything about it. I just kept calling Willie, and getting reports.


Finally, one day, I called and Willie reported that her parents had gone to witness for themselves. When they saw Winnie’s condition, they offered to buy her back but the man refused. Even though, he had no use for her, he bull-headedly ignored their pleas and refused to let them take her. When they threatened to sue him, he gave in. They brought her home and began nursing her back to health.


I begged a ride to the valley, to see for myself. I walked out to the pen and just stood there for a few seconds. This was not Winnie. Was this Winnie? It couldn’t be.


I ran back to the house and asked Willie’s mom, “Are you sure that’s Winnie?”“Yes, dear. I’m afraid so. She’s lost more than half her weight and I don’t know if she will pull through.”Willie said, “Judy, she’ll never be ridden again. That guy broke her leg and it didn’t set the way it should. He just didn’t care.”


Oh, this just couldn’t be happening. This powerful stead, reduced to a feeble old nag. I went back out to Winnie and reached out for her nose. “Winnie? Don’t you recognize me? It’s me! Oh, poor Winnie. What did he do to you?”


Her back was swayed. Her ribs were sticking out. Her bottom lip hung as though she couldn’t control it any more. The fire was gone from her eyes and her coat was dull and patchy. She didn’t move, just stood there hanging her head over the feed trough. I tried to hand feed her but it seemed she didn’t have the energy even to reach out.


I couldn’t stand it any more. I had to leave. A cloud hung over me, for weeks. I couldn’t stop crying over the pitiful waste.


I called at least once a week, to check on Winnie’s condition. She was gaining weight. The day came when Willie told me, “Winnie is beginning to recognize me, again”. Oh what joyful news that was.

No comments: